Wednesday, February 15, 2012

McLeod For Congress

 I went to a Columbia County Republican breakfast with my mom. I went a couple weeks ago.   I heard Wright McLeod speak.  McLeod is running for congress.  This is some of what I heard.

 Wright McLeod believes that we should all protect our country not just the soldiers. We should follow the Constitution.  McLeod is a Republican so he believes we shouldn't apologize for being American.   He wants to make a difference in our country.   He wants to stop tax increases witch means he wants to stop raising the extra money we pay for our stuff.    He also believes in the constitution.   He thinks we should not be spending wastefully, but we should be spending smartly by not using our money on other people that are not working to help our country.  I think it is wrong to help people that are not really taking a part in helping our country, and could be. We should help the people who have diseases and illnesses that keeps them from being able to work.

I want to hear more people speak before I take my opinion about congress.  This is what I learned about Wright McLeod, and some of my opinions.  What do you think about spending wastefully or smartly?

3 comments:

  1. I hope you can make it to the February Breakfast. You're doing a great job. We definitely need to be thrifty and make sure every dollar spent is spent wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a bit complicated as far as spending goes. You see, every year congress comes up with a budget in regards to how much money they have to work with, and that money is allocated (or assigned) to certain areas that have to do with the country: ie defense, grants, wellfare, infrastructure, homeland security, ect. Whenever the government spends more than they have thats when they begin to incur a "deficit" (or a debt). The last time the US had a properly balanced budget was back in 1957. Since then, the budget has not been balanced.

    As far as the terms "wasteful" and "smart" spending goes, it all depends on the person and the entity (which could be a school, buisness, ect.). Some people think that certain areas of spending are wasteful, while others think it is smart. Unfortunately, in politics (and this is probably the hardest part about the job) you cannot satisfy everybody.

    So I'm going to let you make your own judgement. Start small, know where your mommy and daddy's tax dollars are going towards in your local area. Go to your local library they will give you a budget report of the spending in the area that you live within, it won't be extremely complicated but it will give you an idea of where the money's going.

    Also, visit this link. http://www.treasurydirect.gov/. The site is a bit complicated, you may need your mom to help you browse it. But that tells you where the government currently stands right now financially. It explains the deficit, the budget, and other various financial information about the US Treasury.

    Hope to see more Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that Jen. And I will be at the breakfast Mike.

    ReplyDelete