Monday, February 6, 2012
Meeting Newt Gingrich
Once I went to the Aiken rally with my mom.A rally is when someone who is running for anything or in this case the president speaks about what he or she believes.I went to the Aiken one.I listened to Newt Gingrich.One thing I had an opinion about was were should we get our oil?Should we buy it from another country or drill for it from our country?I thought we should drill for it in our country because it saves us money and it gives more people jobs.When the rally was over I met Newt Gingrich and got his autograph .It was great. I got to meet him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I commend you for starting a blog and getting informed about politics, Anna. I think you have a bright future ahead of you!
ReplyDeleteAnna! Its fantastic that you are learning and getting involved int e world around you at such a young age! And wow, a blog! I didn't have a blog until last year myself, and I'm an ancient old lady of 35!!!! haha!! Keep up your great discoveries and all of your learning!! xoxxo Melissa P
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed enjoyed reading your blog Anna...please keep us informed of your progress with this venture of yours to share your views and knowledge with your peers...and us adults...I will be waiting for your next entry.....Mary Davis.
ReplyDeleteHi Anna! That's really cool you're taking an interest in policy/politics! I keep up to politics like many people keep up to sports, so welcome to the league! :)
ReplyDeleteI thought I would respond to you on on the topic of oil, since it's a topic often misunderstood.
So, it seems logical to think that, if we produce more oil here in America that it would cost less for us to buy, right? The truth is it's actually a more complicated than that. I'll do my best to explain why without boring you to death! :)
Oil is what's know as a "commodity." Like most commodities, its price is subject to what's called the "market price," which is a fancy way of saying what people are willing to pay for it. In the case of oil, it's something people all over the world also desire, so the price is set by what's called "world" markets. What that means is, no matter wherever you are in the world, the price of oil is always the same, whether we drill for it here in the United States or import it from another country.
A lot of people don't realize that, so if this makes sense to you, you'll know more about the price of oil than the average person! :)
You're right that drilling more in the US would create jobs and also make more money for Americans, so overall it's better than importing it, for sure. So why are some people against it? There are a few reasons.
Many people feel that the world is addicted to oil, which they feel is bad for a couple of reasons; There's a limited supply of it, it's expensive, we often have to buy it from people who don't like us in the Middle East and it pollutes our environment.
Burning oil/gas is why we have really bad smog in some cities like LA, Bakersfield, and Pittsburg and it can make people who breath it really sick. In fact, there are parts of China where the air is so bad that the people walk around with masks on! It also poisons our streams and wildlife when it rains. Many people feel that if, instead of drilling for more oil, we were to focus more on developing clean, renewable energy (like wind and solar) here in the States, we could *also* create a lot of jobs while helping to save our environment at the same time. Just something to think about!
If you learn 1 thing from politics, I hope it's to realize that not everyone is always going to agree on things - in fact, most of the time they don't! :) In spite of that, I find it's always good to hear all kinds of perspectives. No matter if someone is Republican, Democrat, liberal or conservative, it's always best to be kind to people and try truly to understand where they are coming from - even when you don't agree.
Hope I didn't bore you! Looking forward to your future posts! :)
Anna, I'm so proud of you for getting involved in politics at such a young age.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to oil, I believe that it is important for America to be able to provide for her own instead of having to depend on other countries for oil.
At the same time, I do believe that our country should work on the development of clean, renewable energy and the use of those resources that do not pollute our environment as heavily as oil.
Anna,
ReplyDeleteGreat job. You must have wonderful parents and I'm sure they're proud of you for caring about the country that your generation will inherit soon. I'm sorry that we're leaving you such a mess to clean up but with inspirational young people like you, I have great hope for the future of our nation.
Perhaps your parents will bring you by TalkRadio1380 AM sometime. I would love to interview you on the air. "Powers to the People" airs Mon-Fri 3-6PM. Have them contact me if they'd like to.
Tony Powers
http://www.wnrr1380.com
tonytalkradio@gmail.com
803-426-8020 Office
803-426-8022 Studio
Anna, so happy to see you have such a wonderful interest in politics. From your readers posts, it looks like you will have a lot to think about, and a lot to talk about, when trying to make a decision on a subject. There is almost always two sides, or two opinions on most subjects. This way you will get to see what people believe and why they feel the way they do. Getting all of the information you can on a subject is the best way to be an "informed" voter. Look forward to checking up on your blog and see what your up too!!
ReplyDeleteTo respond to what Derek wrote to you about the price of gas,I want to ask him if the price of gas is the same around the world because of the world market, why is the price of gas less than a dollar in the Arab countries. What you tried to explain to Anna is sooooo out of "whack" that you need to go back and relearn the oil market.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, Anna great job and keep up the good work. LindaP
To what what Anonymous just said, I beg to differ. Understand there are export costs in regards to shipping the oil, there is also a heavy gas tax here in the United States, and an even heavier tax in Europe. Also, the currency exchange is different. In Arab countries, the oil is right there, so there is no export cost, plus there is no tax on the oil. And money in those arab countries is not worth as much as the dollar in US countries. So ALOT of money over there is really not ALOT of money in our country, which is why its less than a dollar over there.
ReplyDelete